Monday, November 21, 2011

Turkey Day is Upon Us

Waking up on Thanksgiving, is like waking up on Christmas morning to me. The yummy aromas & cheerful sounds remind me that this is going to be a special day.

When I was younger, the smell of coffee and a turkey already in the oven would greet my nose. The sound of the Thanksgiving Day parade would be blaring on tv (loud enough for us to hear in the kitchen while we baked).

Every year, my mom would make lime jello surprise (it tastes SO much better than it sounds). We would normally prepare it the night before. Sometimes I would stay awake long enough to help, but other times I would fall asleep on the couch, leaving mom to work away by herself in the kitchen (sorry mom).

Mom still makes the lime jello surprise, and it's normally a double batch because everyone loves it so much.

Daniel and I are blessed to live close to both our parents and our siblings. This means TWO huge meals and lots of family time for us on Thanksgving Day.

This year, I am braving 2 New dishes. Green Bean Casserole (with the crunchy onions on top) and a spicy cranberry dip with cream cheese. Can't wait to try them and the rest of the family's yummy dishes!

I am eating for two now, so I definately plan to get extra helpings and not feel guilty about it ;-)

And since fresh cranberries were buy one bag, get one free...I might try this super easy homemade cranberry sauce here.

Next Thanksgiving, we'll have to make more room at the table. For a highchair and an 8 month old! And we will be so thankful.

~ Here's the fam last Thanksgiving ~



"Hill Billy Horseshoes" at the Willoughby's






"Pin the Hat on the Turkey" at the McQueer's

Funny! Daniel is pinning the hat on ... something other than the turkey ;-)



What dish are you "in charge" of making this year? What are you looking forward to this Thursday? Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment